Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Monday, March 23, 2009

still winter?

It sure didn't seem like spring today. I think the high temp was about 34ºF. Not exactly warm, in my book. I didn't get out as much as I would have liked today. I visited my 94-year-old grandmother, and it seemed too cold and windy to take her outside. She likes birds too - she has a couple feeders on her balcony on the 5th floor of her building, which overlooks the Sudbury River. It is kind of neat up there, because you are pretty much at the tops of the trees, looking over them. She feeds all year round, because she likes to watch the birds. I usually stop feeding about the first of spring, but it has been so cold this year that I even went and bought more seed. I still have my usual chickadees, titmice, woodpeckers, goldfinches, siskins, nuthatches, et cetera, but they have been joined by red-winged blackbirds back from their winter homes. It is supposed to warm up as the week goes on - I sure hope so!
I was watching birds at my feeder the other day when an eastern cottontail rabbit hopped out of the rhododendrons onto my path. I hadn't seen it for a while, so it is good to know it is still around.
I've also been seeing sparrows the past few days, that are probably song sparrows, but could be fox sparrows. I've looked in several books and online and all the images are different. Fox sparrows are less likely to be in this region, while song sparrows are relatively common around here.
Another neat image - I wish I'd been in position with a camera when I saw it - two squirrels, one red, one gray, sitting on the same branch, in the same position, about three feet apart. Probably waiting for birds to drop seed from the feeder.

1 comment:

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!