Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Butterfly

As I walked through a meadow behind my house, I saw something flutter up into the air - I couldn't tell if it was a butterfly or a moth, but I was still so pleased to see such a creature at this time of year. Later on, I saw something moving on an old, fallen down tree trunk - a flash of orange, then just dull brown, like so many of the leaves on the ground. Here's a photo - I tried to get one of its open wings, but was unable to do so. I believe it is a comma angle wing butterfly, from my ID guides and online info. When it flew away, I could tell that it was the same kind I had seen earlier. These butterflies hibernate over the winter, under bark.

We also saw a small herd of seven or eight white-tail deer, which trotted off after they saw us coming.

1 comment:

  1. I like the red squirrel in the header too, and that butterfly is well disguised--he looks like bark!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!