Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

BIG moth

Yesterday evening I saw something big fly up toward one of my windows. At first I thought it was a bat. It was flying and looked about four or six inches across. When I went over to the window I could see that it was a moth - and what a big moth! I think it was a Black Witch (Ascalapha odorata), which is generally a tropical moth, though it often migrates fairly far north. It is sometimes described as bat-like, which explains my initial guess as to what it was. And they do get as big as 6 inches.
This is the new thing I learned today. (As in "You learn something new every day.") I saw something new, did a little research, and presto! I know more than I did yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!