Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Flowers!


I suppose they must have been working their way through the leaves for a while now, but I just noticed them today. Pulmonaria! Often called lungwort, Pulmonaria officinalis was thought to be a remedy for lung ailments. People thought the spots on the leaves made the leaves look like lungs, so that plant must work on that part of the body. Not bad reasoning, really, even if it didn't turn out to be true.
I like the flowers because they are pretty colors - pink, purple and blue all on one plant - and they bloom really early. I suppose I didn't notice them yesterday because it was gray and chilly and I was inside a lot, but the ones I saw this morning are definitely some of the first. I looked around my yard, and most of the pulmonaria flowers are still buds.
And every day I see a few more daffodil leaves, and the ones already up are a little taller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!