Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

images

I couldn't take a photo of this, so I'll try to describe it. The tops of the trees are changing color these days, and various plants throughout the forest change at different rates. Today as I was walking there was a yellow skim about 18" above the forest floor. Ferns (I didn't bother to check on what species - I was too entranced by the overall visual image) are turning yellow, and they are all about the same height, with few other plants at the same level. So we ended up with a broken film of yellow ferns at about knee height. It struck me as similar to a thin film of ice on a pond, late on a winter morning when it has begun to break up into smaller pieces in the sunshine - the ice is lighter (due to reflection) than the surrounding water. Make any sense? Well, it was beautiful.

1 comment:

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!