Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Thursday, May 21, 2009

more new things

I saw what I think was a rose-breasted grosbeak today (my first, to my recollection, though I remember my mother talking about them when I was young). As so often happens to me, I heard a lovely song high up in a tree. It wasn't quite a robin, nor quite an oriole, and I finally spied it. I didn't have my binocs, but I don't think it could have been anything but the grosbeak. After I checked my bird guides at home, I went back later with binocs, but it had moved over into somebody's yard, and I didn't feel like trespassing. Maybe I'll see it again another day, now that I know where to listen for it.
I also saw the indigo bunting again.

And a new flower for me. I was with my son and some of his classmates on a "big back yard" walk from the school, and I spotted this beauty. I don't recall ever seeing it before, no surprise given its tiny size. Anyway, I took some cell phone pics to ID it, and went back later with a real camera. The plant is fringed polygala, also called gaywings. The ones I saw had already started to wilt, but were still very pretty. I love learning new plants!

The other thing I've been wondering about, is my robin. I have not seen her on the nest for some time now. I don't know if something happened to her, if something happened to the eggs (we do have plenty of blue jays around, who will steal eggs for lunch), or if they hatched and fledged already.
I've also been hearing one robin in my yard singing away even when all the other robins have quieted down, later in the morning or in the afternoon, before the evening sing. I wonder if this is Mr. and he is seeking a new mate. Even if the first brood has fledged, I would think they would be working on a second - they will use the same nest. So it is a mystery, and one that may never be solved, I suppose.

1 comment:

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!