Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Baltimore oriole

I saw my first Baltimore oriole of the season this morning. I heard it singing, but wasn't sure, and then it flew - a bright orange male - up into a tree near where I was walking. So beautiful!

I forgot to mention that I saw a towhee the other day - I got distracted by the goldfinch nest.

Here is a photo of Mama Robin sitting on her nest.

Here's another pic, of wild sarsaparilla, a plant that disguises itself like poison ivy when it is young. But if you look closely, you'll see that the leaf stalk has five leaves on it, not three.

2 comments:

  1. OH YES I know that stuff that looks like poison ivy, and it must have something to do with the drink sasparilla...

    ReplyDelete
  2. from the link...
    * Used by Native Americans to brew a tea
    * Rhizomes have been used to make beverages such as root beer.

    Uses:


    * Alterative, pectoral, diaphoretic, sudorific. Used as a substitute for Smilax Sarsaparilla is useful inpulmonary diseases and externally as a wash for indolent ulcers and shingles. It is said to be used by the Crees under the name of Rabbit Root for syphilis and as an application to recent wounds. It contains resin, oil, tannin, albumen, an acid, mucilage, and cellulose.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!