Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Monday, April 19, 2010

birds

Some nice bird sightings on a morning walk today.  It was on the cool side - mid-40s, I'd guess, though I didn't check a thermometer - but bright and sunny.

I heard, and then saw when I followed the sound, a towhee.  They used to be called rufous-sided, but now are called eastern towhees.  It's not a big bird, but it has a loud and distinctive song.



And up in the field I saw a pair of tree swallows.  First I saw one flying around in the acrobatic way they do.  Then it landed in a tree.



Then I watched them fly around in the air some more.


I saw what might be their nest site.


And I watched them fly around some more, 'til they landed in another tree for a rest.



On April 4 there was a brush fire.  I don't know anything about when or how it started, and I'm thankful that we've had as much rain as we have this spring - the damage doesn't seem too extensive.  But several young pine trees got singed.  I'll be interested to see how they react over the long term.  One good thing I noticed that the fire did was to burn the buds off some winged euonymus bushes - we've got a lot of that invasive around, and I won't be sorry if some of it dies off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!