Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

vernal

I'm definitely feeling spring today.  It is over 40ºF today, and the sap is running in the sugar maples.  The sun is out, sort of, and the air has a scent and feel to it that connote spring and warm weather coming.  I can't take a picture of it, and I can't think of words to describe it, but it must be a combination of the wind, the mud, the sun, fattening buds, bright birdsong, and probably many other elements.  It is not received by a single sense, but by all in combination - is there a word for that?  It is not tactile, but neither is it an emotion.  It is very comprehensive, physically and psychically, and I know exactly what it means even though I cannot describe it either way, or any other way very well, apparently.  Maybe you already know what I mean!  It is a knowing, an understanding, of the natural world, and I suppose that it is what has helped us survive for so many eons in so many places.  I wonder how long it will last.
 
blue jay feather

1 comment:

  1. SUN? Dang, havn't seen much of that here in SNOWY upstate sigh....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!