Weather at Bedford, Hanscom Field, MA - via NOAA's National Weather Service

Monday, March 22, 2010

buds



If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes.
- Mark Twain


It is raining today, but even from inside the house I can see the buds swelling on the shadbush and on the spicebush.  The warm weather and sun in the previous few days got that going.  There will be more flowers and lots of green soon.  And soon I will take down the birdfeeders for the summer.  They are already much less used that even a week ago, which means that the birds are finding food elsewhere.  I am happy to feed the birds, but I feel better when they are eating their "natural" diet.  It seems a little later than usual to me, but the goldfinches are beginning to turn yellow again, another sure sign of spring.  Even though this was an easy winter, those signs of spring are welcome.  We used to live in New Hampshire, and when we moved I said the only thing I didn't miss was the long winter.  I've been here three times as long as I lived there and I love it here, but I am glad that winter around here is a little shorter.  Of course, I wouldn't want NO winter, either.  That's what I love about New England - seasons and their constant change.  Just when you start to get tired of a season, it moves on and changes.  Of course, that goes for weather in any given week, and sometimes in a day!


spicebush (Lindera benzoin)



 shadbush (Amelanchier canadensis)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being patient - I don't moderate comments every day, but I will get to it!